Pav Bhaji has been one of my favourite Indian food dishes of all time! You could say that it’s an Indian vegetarian version of a Sloppy Joe. It’s this amazing one-pot meal. Which is essentially a vegetable curry served on a hot buttery dinner roll. Since all of the vegetables are mashed up, its a great way to get your kids to eat their veggies!
One of the major things that I’ve learned while making this dish is the use of butter. Butter plays an essential role in this dish! My family has been making pav bhaji for years and they’ve always used canola oil. I on the other hand, have found that by replacing the oil with butter, you’ll end up with a more richer and creamier dish 🙂
You can totally make this using premade store bought mix (all you need to do is add the veggies). But I would totally make this from scratch! Trust me, not only will your dish be more flavourful but you’ll also feel good about making it on your own 🙂
- 3 medium potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- ¼ head of cauliflower (chopped)
- 5 tbsp of butter
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 5 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp of ginger (grated)
- 1 green chili – I use Serrano (minced)
- 2 long eggplants or 1 eggplant (cubed)
- 3 tomatoes (cubed)
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 12 dinner rolls
- 1 small red onion (chopped)
- ¼ cup cilantro (chopped)
- Boil water in a large pot.Once the water has boiled, add the potatoes and cauliflower. Simmer for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain, mash and set aside
- In the large pot, over medium heat, add 4 tbsp of butter and onions. Saute for about 8-10 minutes
- Add in garlic, ginger, green chili and eggplants. Cover and cook until soft 10-12 minutes. Stir every couple of minutes.
- Add in tomatoes and tomato paste. Cook for another 5 minutes
- Add in the ground cumin, garam masala, ground turmeric, chili powder, salt and the mashed potato/cauliflower mixture. Cook for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Remove pot from heat and add in the remaining tbsp of butter. Mash the mixture until the consistency is like mashed potatoes.
- Cut the dinner rolls in half and toast until golden brown. Spread generously with butter. Add a layer of the pav bhaji. Top with some red onion and cilantro
- Enjoy! 🙂