My boyfriend and I were walking through the frozen foods section at our local Costco and we saw some chicken strips on sale. I immediately went in and reached for a bag! As I looked more closely to the labels on the bag and noticed the word ‘18% meat protein’. My first thought was…’Shouldn’t this be 100%’? I then turned it around and started looking at the ingredients. To my surprise, I found a whole bunch of ingredients that I could not pronounce let alone even understand. I literally threw the bag back into its rightful spot and started looking around at other products that contained this certain ‘meat protein’. And sure enough, there were more! Of course after seeing this, my boyfriend started going off on a tangent about conspiracy theories. 😉
The whole drive home I kept thinking about the ingredients I saw listed. I then knew that I would never be buying these products ever again! It was time for some homemade chicken strips 😀
The ingredients needed are pretty basic and can be found most households. Chicken (breast or thighs), buttermilk, sweet paprika, salt, pepper, sugar, Italian seasoning, basil, garlic powder and of course Corn Flakes to get the best crunch without having to deep fry the strip 🙂
CRISPY BUTTERMILK CHICKEN STRIPS
– 4 chicken breasts (or 5 boneless chicken thighs) cut into ½ inch strips
– 1 cup of buttermilk
– 2 tbsp of sweet paprika
– 2 tbsp of sugar
– 1 tbsp of salt
– 2 tsp of pepper
Corn Flake Mixture:
– 4 cups of Corn Flakes (crushed to your desire)
– 1 tbsp of garlic powder
– 2 tbsp of Italian seasoning
– 2 tbsp of basil
– 1 tsp of salt
– ½ tsp of pepper
1) Place the chicken strips into a freezer bag. Add the buttermilk, sweet paprika, sugar, salt and pepper. Mix until well coated. Allow to marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour, or ideally overnight for the best flavour.
2) Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
3) Place the Corn Flake mixture in a dish. Remove the chicken strips from the buttermilk mixture and coat evenly in the Corn Flake mixture.
4) Arrange the strips on the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
5) Bake strips for 8 to 9 minutes then flip the strips. Continue baking the strips for another 8 minutes.
6) Serve with your favourite dipping sauce and ENJOY! 😀