If there’s one thing you HAVE to eat this weekend, it’ll be these warm, delicious BAKED mini cinnamon sugar donuts! And of course you won’t be able to stop with just one 😉 Donuts have always been my guilty pleasure. I remember going grocery shopping with my grandparents when I was younger and as a treat, they’d always let me have a donut. It was always be either a old fashioned glazed or a sugar donut and trust me, I was in heaven during that whole grocery trip!
There are many different variations of donuts all around the world. During our trip to the Dominican last year, I noticed our resort made these fresh Dominican donuts. And of course, I always had to go back for seconds 🙂 The donut looked much different than the ones sold here but surprisingly it tasted the same!
I’ve stayed away from making homemade donuts just because I hated the fact that I would be deep frying them. A couple of years ago, I noticed donut pans hitting the shelves. My first thought was ‘Do I really need yet another baking pan that I’m never going to use?’. I wanted to get the pan but I really wanted a MINI Donut pan! I went online and found whole bunch but I really wanted to see the pan in person to look at the material and durability of it. My boyfriend and I were at Winners one day and magically found a mini one that I just had to get!
This recipe is super easy to make! I pretty much took a cookie recipe and turned it into a donut recipe. It consists of butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla, baking powder, salt, flour and of course I added milk 🙂 I mixed these ingredients up in my stand mixer and then added them to a piping bag. I found the piping bag helps a lot with filing the pan evenly without creating a huge mess!
You can choose to butter your pan before adding in the batter. Once the donuts are done baking in the oven, remove them and let them chill on a wire rack. To top the donuts, I simply dipped them in melted butter and then then dipped them in a cinnamon sugar mixture!
CINNAMON SUGAR BAKED MINI DONUTS
– ½ cup of unsalted butter (room temperature)
– ½ cup of sugar
– 1 egg
– 1 tbsp of vanilla
– ½ cup of whole milk
– 1½ cups of all purpose flour (sifted)
– 2 tsp of baking powder
– ¼ tsp of salt
– ¼ cup butter (melted)
– ¼ cup sugar
– 1 tbsp of cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350ºF
- To prepare the batter, In a stand mixer cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the vanilla, egg and milk. Mix until combined.
- Add in the flour, baking powder and salt until just combined. Ensure the batter is not over mixed.
- Add the batter to a piping bag and fill each cavity halfway.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the baked donuts and allow to cool.
- To prepare the topping, melt the butter in a small bowl. In another bowl, combine the cinnamon and sugar.
- Dip each donut lightly in the butter and then dip into the sugar mixture