We had a going away BBQ for a coworker at work on Friday. One of my coworkers brought in minced chicken empanadas. They tasted soo good that I decided to make them from scratch at home. I decided to make the regular chicken empanadas and also make mac & cheese empanadas 🙂
CHICKEN AND MAC & CHEESE EMPANADAS
(IS ENOUGH FOR ONE OF THE FILLING RECIPES BELOW)
– 2 cups of all purpose flour, will need more for working surface
– ¾ cup of cornmeal
– ½ tsp of salt
– 2 tsp of sugar
– 3 tbsp of Crisco, or other type of vegetable shortening
– 2 egg yolks
– ¾ cup of water
– 350g of ground chicken
– 5 shallots, minced
– 3 garlic cloves, minced
– 2 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and minced
– 3 tbsp of Smoke Grilling Spice
– ½ tsp of chili powder
– ½ cup of diced tomatoes
– salt & pepper
MAC & CHEESE FILLING
– 1 cup of cooked macaroni
– 2 tbsp of butter
– ¾ cup of cheddar cheese, grated
– ½ cup of smoked gruyere cheese, grated
– ¼ cup of milk
– 2 tbsp of sour cream
– ½ tsp of salt
– 4 tbsp of chives, minced
1) In a mixing bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, salt, sugar and shortening.
2) Add in egg yolks and water and stir until dough has formed.
3) Knead on a lightly floured surface for about 5 minutes.
4) Cover and let sit for at least 30 minutes before using.
FOR CHICKEN EMPANADAS
1) In a large frypan, cook chicken while breaking into small pieces.
2) Add the shallots and garlic and cook until golden brown.
3) Add the remaining ingredients and cook over medium heat until sauce has thickened (10-15 minutes).
4) Assemble and bake empanadas as shown below, serve with salsa.
FOR MAC & CHEESE EMPANADAS
1) In a medium pot,
melt butter and add both of the cheeses.
2) Add in milk, sour cream and salt.
4) Once the sauce has thickened, add the macaroni, stir and sprinkle with chives.
5) Assemble and bake empanadas as shown below, serve with salsa.
TO ASSEMBLE THE EMPANADAS
1) Preheat the oven to 350º. Ensure the rack is in the middle position in the oven.
2) On a lightly floured surface, roll out the empanada dough until desired thickness has been achieved.
3) Using a large cookie cutter, cut out round circles for the empanadas.
4) Place a tablespoon of the filling into the center of the dough.
5) Fold the dough in half while pinching down to seal the empanada.
6) You can press the edge of a fork for added decoration.
7) Continue until all of the filling has been used.
8) Brush empanadas with some egg whites and bake for 20-22 minutes :).